I am truly blessed to have an amazing mother, mother in love and grandmother who are still alive and well. I absolutely love celebrating them on this day and just in life period. These are amazing women who I am blessed and honored to learn from and be a part of their legacy.
But let me be honest with you. As I approach 35 years of age, and if I am not careful in guarding my heart, Mother’s day can bring thoughts of anxiety or even sadness. Many of you know my husband’s and I desire to have children because I have had no problem sharing it. 3 years ago we had a miscarriage. I decided to openly share it because SO many women go through this and need to know they are not alone. With everything that I share it is my desire to inspire others to know that they can overcome with Christ.
Since that time, my husband and I have had spurts of focusing on trying to get pregnant, only for me to be disappointed when I come on my cycle yet once again! Then you have moments where you say, forget all of the Ovulation tracker apps! I’m just going to “trust the Lord” and let it happen naturally. Time passes, we celebrate another new year, another birthday passes, more babies are born all around you, you start to see scattered gray hairs, you receive yet ANOTHER inbox or text message of someone saying they dreamed about your baby or babies, or even worst asks are you pregnant when in fact you are just bloated that particular day (which is the worst by the way!).
Please know that I’m sharing my heart not for your sympathy but just to bring some understanding to what SO many women and myself go through. And if you have children, this is not to make you feel guilty or awkward about your blessing! They are such a precious gift from the Lord!! All I’m saying is exercise tact and be more sensitive with those that you know are truly waiting for God to open their womb. Just believe God with them if you know this is their hearts desire. J No need to make assumptions, and email them your adoption agency or fertility doctors unless they ask you. No need to text them your old wives tales remedies if you don’t have that relationship with them to do so. Everyone’s situation is different and unless you know the person and they have shared personal information with you don’t make any assumptions. You will find out when they are pregnant when they decide to announce it publicly.
For those women who are waiting to conceive this is for you. I must tell you that if you desire a child it is important to guard your heart and fill it with the promises of God within His Word. These are a few scriptures that I meditate on regularly:
- Your children will be like the vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table. That is the Lord’s blessing for those who fear him.-Psalm 128:4- (this is my favorite because its produces such a beautiful visual. Its important to never stop envisioning your blessing.)
- For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. –Psalm 84:11
- Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him. Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands. How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them! He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates. –Psalm 127:3-5
- Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.– Romans 12:12
- He gives the childless woman a family, making her a happy mother. Praise the LORD!– Psalm 113:9
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.– Philippians 4:6
- May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy,– Colossians 1:11
- By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed, and she bore a child when she was past the age, because she judged Him faithful who had promised.– Hebrews 11:11
- Isaac pleaded with the LORD on behalf of his wife, because she was unable to have children. The LORD answered Isaac’s prayer, and Rebekah became pregnant with twins.– Genesis 25:21
- I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.– 1 Samuel 1:27
For anyone who is waiting patiently or sometimes not so patiently to become a mother I will be praying for you this weekend! Learn to celebrate the moms around you and rejoice! Don’t compare situations or timing. I truly believe and have experienced in my life that God’s timing is the BEST timing! He knows what’s ahead and when that child should be brought into the world. I often think of the story of Hannah who prayed to have a child. She gave birth to Samuel whom she dedicated to the Lord. Samuel became a great prophet who proclaimed the word of the Lord. Prophets were born for an appointed time, to proclaim God’ word. It is also an appointed time for your child to be born, “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5).
I find comfort in knowing that God knows the seed that will come from Jeff and I before they arrive in my womb. I also take comfort in knowing that God knows our child’s purpose and what time period they need to be born within, in order to fulfill that God ordained purpose. My prayer for you future mothers who are waiting for that time is that you will not become distracted, sad or anxious. Press through the emotions. I know that part is tough because I don’t get it right every time. Go into worship and celebration mode of all the moms around you! Ask God to give you a heart to celebrate with others, and to increase your patience. Love on ALL of the children around you and be a blessing to their lives! God hasn’t forgotten about us! Don’t stop believing His word and what God promised you! I won’t. J
“Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy.” Psalm 126:5